We’ve tried a lot of paleo pancake/waffle recipes over the years. The coconut flour ones have a funny sour aftertaste that we don’t enjoy. The almond flour recipes are very heavy, expensive to make and don’t flip well. We first stumbled on the idea of the plantain pancake via The Paleo Mom’s Perfect Paleo Pancake recipe. They are, indeed, perfect. The problem for us is that we don’t always have a ready supply of green plantains in our cupboard, so some planning ahead is required.
We stumbled on Chris Kresser’s plantain pancakes a while back and were delighted to discover the existence of plantain flour. These pancakes are fantastic and by using flour instead of fresh plantains, they can easily be made in the back country!
This recipe work equally well for pancakes or waffles.
- 1 cup plantain flour
- 4 tbsp. powdered eggs, equivalent to 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Breakfast Blend Spice Mix
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- •butter, berries, fermented cream, coconut milk/cream, etc. for toppings
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, powdered eggs, baking soda, spice mix and salt. Mix well.
- Add the almond milk and coconut oil. Stir well until mixture forms a smooth batter. Add more almond milk if mixture is too thick.
- Following the directions of your waffle iron, add ⅓ cup batter per waffle. Serve piping hot with butter, berries or fruit, fermented cream, coconut milk/cream, dark chocolate ganache, or your other toppings of choice.
Substitute 3 tbsp. of whole milk powder for the almond milk, or dehydrate 1 cup of almond milk for 8 hours, and blend into a fine powder.
Combine all the dry ingredients and store in a zip-lock or vacuum sealed bag. Store separately from the oil. I use GSI Soft Sided condiment bottles for the coconut oil.
To prepare, combine all dry ingredients with 1 cup of clean water. Mix well. To this mixture add ⅔ of the coconut oil, reserve the rest for cooking.
Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pour in enough batter to make a 4-5 inch pancake. Once batter starts to bubble, flip carefully and cook until done.