Full disclosure: I totally ripped off this recipe from a store bought, two ingredient coconut bar I found in a discounted bin at Bulk Barn. It still cost $1.99. Listed was the percentage each of the two ingredients, roughly 50/50. Hey, works for me. I’d rather make them than buy them.
I added the fruit, nuts and chocolate chips to help with the taste so you can go to town and mix and match any ingredients you like. Substitute pumpkin seeds for the nuts, raisins for the currents. Don’t kid yourself, you’re not substituting the chocolate chips.
- 6 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup high quality chocolate chips
- ¼ cup black currents
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- Weigh both coconut and brown rice. Depending on how fine your coconut is shredded will depend on the amount of rice syrup used. Should be equal weight. If necessary add more shredded coconut.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded coconut, salt and brown rice syrup. Heating the syrup in the microwave for 35 seconds helps. When mixture is well combined add chocolate chips and almonds, slightly crushing the almonds with your hand as you add them. Mix well.
- Pour into 8x8 glass baking dish, firmly press the mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow to set.
- Cut into 16 equal bars. Vacuum seal 2-4 bars together. Store in freezer until ready to use.