I make my own date bars mainly because of the price of buying Larabars. For the cost of buying a couple I can make an entire batch. Granted the ingredient list for Larabars is pretty clean, but I just can’t justify the price when they are so easy to make.
Kitchen Cook Time and Prep: This recipe makes 8-10 bars and takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
Tools: You will need a small bowl to soak the dried dates and fruit and a food processor .
Back Country-What to Expect: At 200 calories, nearly 10g of healthy fats and over 6g of protein you can expect a nice boast during a mid day break.
Try this recipe out, let me know if you have any questions or comments below, and make sure you share this recipe with your friends that love the back country.
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup crushed pecans
- 1 cup date paste
- 1 ½ tsp Chai Spice Mix
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp. cricket flour
- In a food processor or heavy duty blender add the date puree, cricket flour, pecan, almond flour and salt and pulse until the mixture begins to stick together and clump against the sides of the food processor.
- Transfer the mixture to a plastic wrap lined 8x8 or 8x4 glass dish making sure the mixture is thoroughly blended together . With the back of a spoon or your fingers (very messy) smooth out the mixture into an even layer. Place in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the top of the mixture and turn over onto a cutting board. Remove the plastic and cut into 8 bars bars. Tightly wrap each bar in parchment, like a small Christmas present. Do not use wax paper as the moisture from the bar will be absorbed by the paper and become kind of gross.
- I like to cover the bars in shredded coconut, but that is optional.
- Combine dates, and 1 cup warm water in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, until the dates are soft. Drain the fruit and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Transfer fruit to your food processor and puree until smooth. Viola! Date paste.
- in a small bowl, mix together 5 tsp ground cardamom, ½ tsp ground allspice, 1½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp ground clove, 1½ tsp ground ginger, ½ tsp ground pepper, ½ tsp ground nutmeg. Store in an airtight spice jar.
- Pad See Ew
- Tortilla Wraps