Almost yearly in my youth my mom and dad would drive my brother and I to Cape Breton to visit family. Along the way we would camp, once in Quebec and once in New Brunswick. Other than swimming in the frigid North Atlantic in June the camping was my favorite part of the trip. I loved waking early and watching my dad make breakfast which almost always consisted of bacon, fried canned potatoes and French Toast. Of course trying to live within a paleo diet, French toast is, for the most part, something that is off the menu.
When it comes to most of the Paleo French Toast recipes I’ve tried, the expression “embrace the suck” immediately comes to mind. Especially recipes with a lot of coconut flour. This recipe, however, is an exception and a very good one, at that. Basically you start with a paleo banana bread. Soak pieces in beaten eggs (1 egg and 1/4 cup apple cider is my preferred) and fry it in ghee, butter, or coconut oil. Top with your favourite toppings like maple syrup, honey, yogurt or berry compote.
NOTE: Sunflower seeds turn green when you cook them so if you don’t want green things in your French toast, substitute the seeds for slivered almonds. If you prefer carrot or zucchini to banana substitute 1 cup of either for the banana and keep everything else the same.
- 2 banana's, very, very ripe
- 2 beaten eggs + 3 beaten eggs to make the French toast
- ¼ coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Breakfast Blend Spice Mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, mash banana's, or if they are very, very ripe like I suggest simply stir them with a fork. Add the 2 beaten eggs, oil and honey and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together nuts, flour, salt and breakfast blend spice mix. Add slowly to egg and banana mixture.
- Pour mixture into a standard 4x8 loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Place each slice of banana bread into the beaten egg, allowing the bread to soak in some of it. Shake off the excess, and place the bread slices onto the hot skillet as decribed. Fry the French toast until browned on one side, then flip and brown the other side.
- Trail Mix “Decision Tree”
- Chicken Stock