422 calories actually (give or take). Energy bars are a convenient but expensive, on-the-go snack. Unfortunately, even the best commercial energy bars are now full of added sugar and other not-so-desirable ingredients.
This recipe is healthy, quick and no-bake (except for making the syrup). Substitute with a variety of dried fruit, add nuts or seeds and nut butters, even peanut butter.
Kitchen Cook Time and Prep: This recipe makes 10-16 backcountry servings and takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
Tools: You will need a small saucepan to cook syrup, a food processor to pulse the dried fruit and a mixing spoon. In the back country all you need is a healthy appetite.
Back Country-What to Expect: These bars hold up as well or better than any store bought energy bar and cost a fraction of the price to make.
Try this recipe out, let me know if you have any questions or comments below, and make sure you share this recipe with your friends that love the back country.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup gelatin
- 2 tbsp cricket flour, or egg white powder
- ¼ cup flax or hemp seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped dates
- 1 cup puffed rice
- 1 tbsp Breakfast Blend Spice Mix
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup nut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- In a food processor, or kick-ass 1960’s blender grind dried fruit. Grind until the dates are completely broken up. Add puffed rice and pulse on low to break up the puffed rice. Do not over-grind. Pour in large mixing bowl and add the remaining dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine maple syrup, rice syrup, nut butter, salt, and vanilla. Bring to rolling boil, stirring frequently until mixture reaches 205 - 210 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Immediately, pour mixture slowly over nut and fruit mixture. Stir until evenly coated.
- Scrape the mixture into a 16x8 parchment lined glass dish, pressing the mixture firmly and equally into the dish. Allow to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 10 equal pieces